Blog ≫ 2008 ≫ Clare's hotpot recipe
Making this for tea tonight, thought I would share the recipe with you...
- Heat the oven to 180.
- Chop a biggish onion into thinnish rings and start to fry gently in large pan.
- Meanwhile make a start chopping up your veg - 2 or 3 large carrots, some mushrooms and potatoes. I usually do some and then wait to see how much more I will need as I am building up my layers so that there isn't any left over and wasted because it isn't needed.
- Once the onion has softened down a bit add 3 or 4 cloves of crushed garlic and cook for a further couple of minutes. Then add half a teaspoon of basil and the same of oregano and one and a half teaspoons of thyme. Stir into onion/garlic mix and then add half a bag of soya mince and the equivalent volume of water.
- Add the magic ingredient - 2 generous teaspoons of marmite and make sure you stir this in well so all the mixture is nice and marmitey.
- Add salt and pepper.
- You can leave the mince mixture simmering until you are ready for it but don't let it burn.
- Grease the casserole dish with oil to try and prevent too much sticking when you serve it.
- Start compiling your hotpot layers making sure to put some salt and pepper on each layer as you build (with the exception of the mince which is already seasoned). I start with a layer of potato at the bottom so that you get three layers of potato in the pot and two of everything else. Layers starting from the bottom are: potato, mince mixture, carrot, mushroom, potato, mince mixture, carrot, mushroom, jam1, final layer of potato on top.
- Finally pour one stock cube's worth (190ml) of stock over the top and through any gaps at the sides. Put the casserole lid on and place in the oven for 2 hours. After one hour remove the lid. Check the level of the liquid after 20 mins and add a little further stock if required.
💬 RE: Clare's hotpot recipe - 11746
Fri Nov 21 2008